Block Captain Informational Video
Below is a training video for new and potential block captains. It has interviews with current and former block captains, and members of the community. It is also a great informational tool to use to gauge whether or not your block captain is doing what other captains do. You can click here to see the video on YouTube.
Why are Block Captains Important…
Block Captain Members are neighborhood leaders working to make their communities safe and viable places to live, work and play. By becoming a Block Captain, you can build and strengthen partnerships with neighbors, and other neighborhood stakeholders. Most importantly, as a Block Captain, you will get to know your neighbors.
Block Captains are…
- The point person for the block; receives and relays information to and from neighbors and to and from the community at large.
- A spokesperson for the residents of the block
Block Captains are NOT…
- An authority in a criminal situation
- Law enforcement
- Authorized or encouraged to become physically involved in a crime in progress
Block captain responsibilities…
- Help fulfill the goals of your neighborhood
- Organize your community
- Meet your current neighbors
- Welcome new neighbors
- Provide neighbors with neighborhood information and resources
- Attend neighborhood meetings ; encourage participation in community events
If this sounds like something you are interested in doing, download the handbook here.