Halloween is an exciting time for children as they have the opportunity to dress up in their favorite costumes, enjoy parties, and eat candy. Halloween though, comes with safety risks. On average, children are twice more likely to be hit by a car and killed on Halloween than on any other day of the year.
Provided are some tips on how to enjoy a Safe Halloween:
- Avoid trick-or-treating alone. Walk in groups or with a trusted adult.
- Look both ways before crossing the street. Use crosswalks wherever possible.
- Avoid masks as they can sometimes obstruct a child’s vision, try non-toxic face paint instead.
- Fasten reflective tape to costumes and bags to help drivers see you and your children.
- Hold a flashlight while trick-or-treating to help you see and others see you. WALK and don’t run from house to house.
- Walk on sidewalks whenever possible, or on the far edge of the road facing traffic to stay safe.
- Cross the street safely at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks.
- Put electronic devices down to avoid distractions.
- Children under the age of 12 should not be alone at night without adult supervision.
- Examine all treats for choking hazards and tampering before eating them.
- Eat only factory-wrapped treats. Avoid eating homemade treats made by strangers.
- Enter homes only if you’re with a trusted adult. Only visit well-lit houses. Never accept rides from strangers.
- Never walk near lit candles or luminaries. Be sure to wear flame-resistant costumes.
Tips for Drivers:
- Popular trick-or-treating hours are 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. so be especially alert for children during those hours.
- Slowdown in residential neighborhoods.
- Be especially alert and take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians and on curbs. Children are excited on Halloween and may move in unpredictable ways.
- Reduce any distractions inside your car, such as talking on the phone or eating, so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings.
Follow these tips for you and your family to have a happy and SAFE Halloween!!
Cristal Campocasso – Safety & Security Intern