Many of us are out and about during this holiday season. Whether we are shopping for the holidays, dining out, attending parties, or just keeping up our regular routines, we are busy! It’s important to remember while we are rushing from place to place, to stay alert and stay safe. To make sure our children know what to do if they get separated from us while we are out. Hopefully, these tips will help remind us all to slow things down a bit and keep watch for ourselves and our neighbors.
Automated Teller Machine (ATM)
- When withdrawing cash from an ATM be alert to your surroundings. Choose well-lit areas, in secure locations if possible. Some examples are police stations, malls, or large retail stores.
- Protect your PIN by shielding the ATM keypad from anyone who is standing near you.
- Do not throw your ATM receipt away at the ATM location.
- Dress casually and comfortably.
- Even though you are rushed and thinking about a thousand things, stay alert of your surroundings.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Keep any cash you do carry in your front pocket.
- Notify the credit card issuer immediately if your credit card is lost, stolen or misused.
- Keep a record of all of your credit card numbers in a safe place at home.
- Be extra careful if you do carry a wallet or purse. They are the prime targets of criminals in crowded shopping areas, transportation terminals, bus stops, on buses and other rapid transit. Keep them zipped or snapped shut. Wallets can be snatched quickly when distracted or in tight quarters.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages. It is important to have clear visibility and freedom of motion when approaching your vehicle.
- Teach your child to go to a store clerk and ask for help in case your child is separated from you.
- Teach children to stay close to you at all times while shopping.
- Children should never be left alone in the car.
- Teach children their full name, address and telephone number to give to police officers or mall security.
- Teach children to immediately inform you if a stranger is bothering them.
Crime tips sourced from: